Wednesday 8 September 2010

What goes around...

What a pleasure the London Underground strike is! Why? Because it gave me a nudge to get my folding bike out of the shed and lug it up to Town on the train. So many little London back streets I have discovered or rediscovered this week, little corners of London that largely go unnoticed unless you happen to work there. Somewhere at home I have a London cycle map which came with love and kisses from the Mayor, Ken not Boris so I suppose I need to send off for a new one now. After all bike-friendly Boris has just launched all those new cycle routes and of course the hire bikes which have had lots of use today. Spurred on by the lack of tube trains there have been more bikes on London’s roads than I have ever seen before, and while I would admit to a bit of saddle-sore, I am enjoying being a part of it all. I often feel though that I am the slowest cyclist on the road. People on bikes with large wheels go the fastest of course, and next to whiz past me are the folk with the expensive folding bikes such as Bromptons. These have little wheels just like mine but must have better gears because they leave me standing. A “friend” suggested it might just be my lack of fitness but I feel this is a trifle harsh. Anyway I don’t mind. I’m cycling at an easy pace which means it’s relaxing, I see more of London, and I don’t have to arrive at the office all sweaty and red in the face. I recently got a very clever clamp for mounting my video camera on the handlebars so will be able to start posting a rather different view of London on here. I’m enjoying the London cycling experience so much that I think I will keep it up even when the tube strike is over. So far I have been lucky with the weather, but any day now I will doubtless get caught in a good old London downpour and soggy cycling is a pretty miserable experience so I suppose then I’ll be back on the Tube until the rainy season has passed.

No comments:

Post a Comment